Invisalign Teen came on. They were originally discouraging ... The Invisalign company was discouraging their use in teenagers, because teenagers had teeth erupting at different rates, and they had different space problems and so forth. Also, they were originally worried about are the kids really going to wear them or not, what if the kid loses it, are the parents going to be upset about paying for replacements, and that type of a thing, and so they came up with Invisalign Teen.
Invisalign Teen is sort of interesting. It takes into consideration the fact that there may not be all the adult teeth yet, so it'll keep space for the teeth to come in, and then as they come in, you can go and add them on and take new impressions and make new aligners.
The next thing that they came up with was a little blue dot that as you wear it, the dot sort of goes away, and you can tell whether the kids are using it or not, so it's an indication if they're sticking them in their drawers or sticking them in their mouth. The third thing that happened was they said, ”Well, you know what? Kids are probably going to lose them. They're going to lend them to their friends or something like that, whatever teenagers do these days.” And so they said, ”You know, we'll go and replace them.” As it turns out, it's been a really low product line, as far as replacing them. Hardly anybody ever loses them, and it's worked out pretty nice.
The problem with a young person and Invisalign is that you've got to take into consideration when these other teeth are coming in, so it may drag the treatment out. I know just this week I planned one out and had, like, 42 of them in there, and I said, ”You know what? It's fine, because I'm going to have to stop in the middle anyways, because these teeth are going to come in and then we're going to have to re-diagnose it, so it's not a big problem.”
Are you considering orthodontic treatment for your teen? Invisalign Teen offers a unique way to straighten your child’s teeth. Below you can learn more about how Invisalign Teen works, the benefits of treatment, and how to find out if it is the best solution for your child.
What is Invisalign Teen and how does it work?
Invisalign Teen works just like Invisalign for adults in that it uses a series of clear plastic aligners to gently shift your child’s teeth into place. We create custom aligners to move your teen’s teeth into the desired position. The aligners are designed to be changed out every couple of weeks to create the best results. To learn more about how Invisalign works in detail, check out our service page here.
What are the benefits of Invisalign?
If you are considering Invisalign Teen for your child, there are many great benefits to choosing this treatment. Some of the main benefits are:
- Comfort – Because of the material they are made out of, Invisalign aligners are smooth and comfortable in your teen’s mouth. Many teens complain about the scratching or poking associated with traditional metal braces – that kind of discomfort is nonexistent when with Invisalign. Invisalign also uses gentler pressure to shift your teen’s teeth into place – they will never have to worry about uncomfortable tightening appointments!
- Convenience – Invisalign Teen aligners are removable! This is great for making eating and cleaning easier for your child. However, the longer the aligners are out of your child’s mouth, the longer the treatment time will be. We recommend that your teen wears his or her aligners for at least 22 hours every day for optimum results.
- Invisibility – Invisalign Teen aligners are nearly invisible to the naked eye and provide a high level of aesthetic appeal. This means that your teen’s orthodontic care won’t impose on their social life. Kids love this benefit of Invisalign because it means that their friends won’t even know they are undergoing treatment!
How is Invisalign Teen different from the Invisalign product used for adults?
There are three main differences between Invisalign Teen and the Invisalign products for adults. Let’s discuss these differences and how Invisalign can help your teen get the results they desire.
- Invisalign Teen uses small blue dots to indicate that it is time to change the aligner. As you might guess, kids and teens may not always wear their aligners as directed, but the dots can help them keep track. The dots will fade when the aligner has been worn to its full capacity. When the dots fade, it’s time to change the aligner, regardless of whether it has been 2 weeks or longer.
- Invisalign Teen allows for the treatment of kids and teens who do not have all of their adult teeth left. We are able to leave spaces in the aligners to allow for the adult teeth to erupt. This allows us to treat teens sooner and potentially head off more serious orthodontic problems in the future.
- Invisalign Teen offers the opportunity for ordering replacement aligners in case an aligner is lost. This is an important perk for parents who are concerned about their child misplacing their aligner.
How can I find out if Invisalign is right for my teen?
To find out for certain if Invisalign is right for your child, please schedule a free consultation with Dr. Eckelson. Call our office at 561-391-6415 or send us a message using our online form. We will be happy to help you determine if Invisalign is the best solution for your child’s orthodontic needs.
GET OUR FREE E-BOOK
You can get straight, beautiful teeth in half the time. See how YOU can achieve a new smile in our FREE e-book.